Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Solidarity....Forever


This is the sweet .... reward after many hours of toil early last Saturday, just before the Lunar New Year. Every year, going around the shops in Serangoon North and Serangoon Gardens to wish the shopkeepers a Happy Lunar New Year takes on a personal and special meaning. It always requires tight time coordination, detailed planning of the routes and extensive support from many, many grassroots leaders. Whenever it proceeds smoothly, we sometimes forget how much effort has gone into making this possible, or into facilitating my interactions with residents.

This year is especially heartwarming as given the timing of my visit, it was an opportunity to see many more people doing their last minute shopping. It was nice to be able to take in the festive spirit as I mingled with the crowds. It was even more gratifying to see the real solidarity at work - from introducing me to the stallholders and shopkeepers, to handing me the Chinese New Year cards. The lunch at Pow Sing caps the wonderful morning of sweat and hard work. As did the dessert as well. Thank you all; I know I can count on all of you for even more work ahead. Have a blessed, happy and healthy lunar new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome.No offensive language please.